Planning Your Day, Week, Month
How to improve your time management skills
Tuesday 5th November - Dublin City Centre
Time management is a core business management skill which has been around for years. Despite this we are no better at time management today than our predecessors were twenty or thirty years ago. Over the years many myths have grown around time management. One of them is that we can in fact 'manage time'. We can't.
We can, however, manage ourselves, and our own behaviour. But rather than a slave to the clock, we can become a 'master of time'.
This course shows you how to reduce behaviours that make a slave of you, and how to commit to making changes in the way you use your time. To become a master of time requires a major mind shift, a change in the way you do things. However, a major shift can begin with small changes.
Below I have listed some key strategies that feature in my book and are explored on this course.
If you can choose even one of these and try it out, it will set you on the road to becoming a master of time.
- Prioritise the important things in your life and not just the urgent things
- Conduct a personal time audit to understand how you really spend your time, as opposed to how you think you use your time
- Compose lists of things that add value to your endeavours; don't see them as nagging 'to-do' lists
- Take responsibility for controlling the volume of non-value interruptions stealing your time.
As the pressure of work intensifies and expectations get higher, setting aside the time to develop a personal time management strategy to achieve personal and company key tasks, targets and objectives gets harder. This course will help you to invest your time wisely, improve productivity and add value to your organisation. Time management is not about managing time, it is about managing yourself and those around you and letting time take care of itself.
Below I have listed some key strategies that are explored on this course.
- Prioritise the important things in your work and not just the urgent things, dealing with competing priorities. Improve your thinking process and decision making to become more results focused
- Conduct a personal time audit to understand how you really spend time, as opposed to how you think you use your time; understand the real issues instead of the perceived problems. Establish how much time is wasted through interruptions and introducing effective controls that will help you to improve how you use your time
- Compose lists of things that add value to your endeavours; don't see them as nagging 'to-do' lists, bringing structure to daily activities. List of tasks vs. effective planning, how to stay ahead of deadlines
- Take responsibility for controlling the volume of non-value interruptions stealing your Interruptions – how they are handled and controlled. Impact/Influence Model and value added interruptions vs. time wasters
- Understand the skills of managing people, their expectations levels and being assertive. Knowing when to say no; how to say no in a positive way.
- Different Personalities types and how they affect you in your day to day activities, how they steal your time and how to deal with their interruptions. How to influence different personality types
- The Habit of Excellence and the Psychology of and personal accountability and responsibility for achieving effectiveness in the workplace
The programme aims to maximise participation from the participants in discussions, group exercises, scenarios and practical role-plays. The style is informal and the content informative. At each stage there is an emphasis on individual action: what are you going to do differently?
Attendance at this seminar may qualify for 7 CPD/CPE hours for members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland, the Association of Chartered Accountants, the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland, the Law Society, Accounting Technicians Ireland and other professional bodies.
Courses run from 10.00am - 4.30pm - tea/coffee on arrival, mid-morning/afternoon and lunch will be provided.
10% discount for IPASS members. Book Online Now