Certificate in Payroll Techniques
Level 6, Higher Education
This payroll course provides learners with a thorough understanding of the operation of the PAYE system and the workings of payroll. It also covers the key areas of employment law which impact on the payroll function. The course material explains the workings of the legislation. This is supported by numerous examples and self-assessment questions which students can use to develop their knowledge while they study. The course is extremely practical and interesting and is designed to allow students to progress at a realistic pace. Whether you already work in payroll, or not, you will find this course extremely interesting, practical and relevant to you.
The payroll function is probably the only function which affects every employee in every company. Employers need to ensure that payroll staff are given the necessary training to enable them to perform their duties to the highest standard. Apart from the positive effect on all staff, which an accurate and efficient payroll service will generate, employers need to ensure that inadequate or inaccurate knowledge of their payroll staff does not lead to problems with the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Social Protection and the Workplace relations Commission. In the present era of self-assessment and Revenue audits, professionally qualified payroll staff can make a huge difference to the financial and functional performance of any business.
Who should enrol?
It is a requirement that learners enrolling on this course whose first language is not English must have a minimum of B2 in English under the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) programme.
The B2 First Qualification offered by Cambridge English Assessment satisfies this requirement.
The CPT course is delivered over 2 semesters. You will receive a comprehensive course manual for each semester and you will be provided with access to our Online Learning Platform where you can access additional information and material relating to your course.
We will be running this course again in February 2023. There will be a face-face class in Dublin (IPASS Office). Classes will run 1 night a week, 3 hours per night, for 20 weeks in total. Semester 1 will run from 10 weeks from February – May and Semester 2 will run for a further 10 weeks from September – December. Classes run from 6.30pm – 9.30pm.
All venues will run subject to numbers and Government guidelines.
Studying online means you have the opportunity to attend a live online lecture, or view a pre-recorded lecture at a later time that suits you. Online classes will be held on a specific day from 6.30pm – 9.30pm. You will be assigned a tutor who will be available to assist and support you through-out your studies.
Class times are subject to change.
The syllabus below is for the term February 2023 – December 2023 and will be subject to change for new enrolments in February 2024.
Assessment of students consists of a hand written exam. For students enrolling from February 2023 onwards, the exam will take place in an examination centre. Students are required to sit and pass 1 exam for each semester in order to gain their qualification. Students will have 2 hours (120 minutes) to complete the exam paper. IPASS reserve the right to change exam dates and times, subject to issuing due notice to students. Students are automatically entered into the examination immediately following their enrolment.
Examination Centres: Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Athlone.
The exam paper will consist of 7 questions of which 6 will be required to be attempted as follows:
- Part A – Compulsory – 2 questions for a total of 40 marks
- Part B – Answer 4 out of 5 questions, each of which will carry 15 marks
Students will be required to answer a number of questions on the theory and application of PAYE, PRSI & USC and Employment legislation.
Repeat/Deferral Examinations – for students enrolled prior to February 2023.
- Saturday 4th February 2023.
- A Revision course for the repeat/deferral examinations will be held online on Saturday 28th January. A fee of €100 is payable for each revision day. Students who wish to attend the revision course can book online closer to the date.
- Saturday 27th May 2023.
- The next revision course is scheduled to run online on Saturday 13th May 2023. A fee of €100 is payable for each revision day. Students who wish to attend the revision course can book online closer to the date.
- Saturday 12th August 2023.
- A Revision course for the repeat/deferral examinations will be held online on Saturday 29th July 2023. A fee of €100 is payable for each revision day. Students who wish to attend the revision course can book online closer to the date.
- Saturday 9th December 2023.
- The next revision course is scheduled to run online on Saturday 25th November 2023. A fee of €100 is payable for each revision day. Students who wish to attend the revision course can book online closer to the date.
Professional Payroll Manager Qualification
Students who successfully complete the Certificate in Payroll Techniques can progress to study the Professional Payroll Manager Qualification which is accredited by IPASS. As the qualification is a pre-requisite for many payroll positions, it greatly enhances your career prospects.
The IPASS Professional Payroll Manager Qualification is a superb 1 year course which has been specifically designed to meet the needs of Irish payroll managers and senior staff. Most, if not all senior payroll personnel are responsible for the management of a team of people and are required to contribute to their employer’s financial and HR decision making, quite apart from the additional technical knowledge required in relation to Employment Law, Income tax, PRSI and USC.
You will be provided with an extremely interesting and challenging Payroll Management programme. You will acquire a professional qualification, which will enhance your career prospects and improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Computerised Payroll Course
In order to apply the knowledge acquired when studying the Certificate in Payroll Techniques (CPT) qualification, IPASS also offers a Computerised Payroll course. While this course is optional, it enables students to:
This course is only available online. You are required to register with IPASS to complete the course. Once registered, you will be provided with guidelines on how to download demo payroll software with a training digital certificate which enables the software to mimic a live payroll. An online user guide for the software is also available. You will be provided with an assignment with a set range of details for an employer and employees for a number of pay periods. You will be required to set up the employer and employees on the payroll software, process the payroll for a number of pay periods and create a backup or snapshot file once you have completed the assignment. You will be required to submit the snapshot file online for correction.
A fee of €100 is payable for this course by all students.
Only students who have completed the Certificate in Payroll Techniques are eligible to enrol on this course. A student must successfully complete the course and submit their supporting snapshot file within 30 days of their enrolment date in order to achieve a Certificate of Completion.
To register on this course you must have previously completed the Certificate in Payroll Techniques course. Register and pay online.
In compliance with Section 65(4)(a) of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012, Learner Protection arrangements have been put in place with Arachas Insurance, should the Irish Payroll Association (IPASS) cease to provide any of the following QQI programmes before learners have completed awards:
Certificate in Payroll Techniques 6S15578 Award Level 6
IPASS confirms that:
- It has made a full disclosure of all facts and information pertinent to the Protection of Enrolled Learners (PEL) arrangements to QQI.
- It has taken appropriate steps to satisfy itself that the PEL arrangements in respect of each programme are adequate and meet the legal obligations under Part 6 of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012.
- The PEL arrangements are valid for the full period of accreditation for the programme.
- It shall notify learners and QQI in writing of any change in the arrangements IPASS has in place as soon as possible but in any case, not later than 14 days, after becoming aware of that change. Any changes to the PEL arrangement for the QQI accredited programme set out in this document and notified to QQI will be managed by IPASS.
Keep up to date
Telephone Helpline for
all Payroll Queries
Join a Group of