The payroll function is probably the only function which affects every employee in every company. Employers need to ensure that payroll staff are given the necessary training to enable them to perform their duties to the highest standard. Apart from the positive effect on all staff, which an accurate and efficient payroll service will generate, employers need to ensure that inadequate or inaccurate knowledge of their payroll staff does not lead to problems with the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Social Protection and the Workplace relations Commission. In the present era of self-assessment and Revenue audits, professionally qualified payroll staff can make a huge difference to the financial and functional performance of any business.
The course provides learners with a thorough understanding of the operation of the PAYE system and the workings of payroll. It also covers the key areas of employment law which impact on the payroll function. The course material explains the workings of the legislation. This is supported by numerous examples and self-assessment questions which students can use to develop their knowledge while they study. The course is extremely practical and interesting and is designed to allow students to progress at a realistic pace. Whether you already work in payroll, or not, you will find this course extremely interesting, practical and relevant to you.
Who should enrol?
Due to Covid-19, online learning is the only learning option available at this time. Should classroom learning become an option, students can indicate on the enrolment form what venue they wish to attend.
The CPT course is delivered over 2 semesters. You will receive a comprehensive course manual for each semester and you will be provided with access to our Online Learning Platform where you can access additional information and material relating to your course.
You will receive a comprehensive study pack to enable you tackle your studies with confidence.
Studying online means you have the opportunity to attend a live online lecture, or view a recording of that lecture at a later time that suits you. Online classes will be held on a specific day from 6.30pm – 9.30pm. You will be assigned a tutor who will be available to assist and support you through-out your studies.
Class times are subject to change.
Assessment of students consists of a hand written exam. Students are required to sit and pass 1 exam for each semester in order to gain their qualification. Students will have 2 hours (120 minutes) to complete the exam paper. IPASS reserve the right to change exam dates and times, subject to issuing due notice to students. Students are automatically entered into the examination immediately following their enrolment.
The exam paper will consist of 7 questions of which 6 will be required to be attempted as follows:
- Part A – Compulsory – 2 questions for a total of 40 marks
- Part B – Answer 4 out of 5 questions, each of which will carry 15 marks
Students will be required to answer a number of questions on the theory and application of PAYE, PRSI & USC and Employment legislation.
- Saturday 7th August 2021
- Saturday 11th December 2021
Next Revision Course
- The next revision course is a full training day on the 24th July 2021 (Online Only)
- Stage 1 – 9.30am – 4.00pm
- Stage 2 – 9.30am – 4.00pm
A fee of €100 is payable by all students who wish to attend the revision course. You can BOOK ONLINE
Students who successfully complete the Certificate in Payroll Techniques can progress to study the Professional Payroll Manager Qualification which is accredited by IPASS. As the qualification is a pre-requisite for many payroll positions, it greatly enhances your career prospects.
In compliance with Section 65(4)(a) of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012, Learner Protection arrangements have been put in place with two other providers, should the Irish Payroll Association (IPASS) cease to provide any of the following QQI programmes before learners have completed awards:
Certificate in Payroll Techniques 6S15578 Award Level 6
IPASS confirms that:
- It has made a full disclosure of all facts and information pertinent to the Protection of Enrolled Learners (PEL) arrangements to QQI.
- It has taken appropriate steps to satisfy itself that the PEL arrangements in respect of each programme are adequate and meet the legal obligations under Part 6 of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012.
- The PEL arrangements are valid for the full period of accreditation for the programme.
- It shall notify learners and QQI in writing of any change in the arrangements IPASS has in place as soon as possible but in any case, not later than 14 days, after becoming aware of that change. Any changes to the PEL arrangement for the QQI accredited programme set out in this document and notified to QQI will be managed by IPASS.
Direct Debit Mandate
Keep up to date
Telephone Helpline for
all Payroll Queries
Join a Group of